McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Music to My Ears

Music to My Ears

What do you think of when you first hear the word ‘music’? Do you think about upbeat songs or sad, slow songs? Maybe even some rock songs. Whatever it was that you thought of what matters is that you thought about something. Everyone thinks differently and will have varying thoughts and answers.

Just like how everyone interprets things differently, such as music. Music can mean so much to somebody, but not as much to another person. Lyla Rowlett, a 7th grader at our school, knows about this experience very well, as she always has her headphones in her ears. Lyla has a lot of great points when it comes to the interpretation of music in the community. “People don’t just listen to music to listen, they also listen to music to interpret the song in their own ways.” She noticed this through online posts and theories about songs and artists, which made her realize that also, everyone is different in their own ways. “Everyone thinks differently, so everyone hears differently.” This also means that everyone will have different opinions about songs that maybe the artist didn’t even think about at first.

Lyla also notices that everyone has different reasons for listening to music as well as herself. “I listen to music to get away from life and get my mind off of any negative thoughts.” She uses music as a brain break as well as a reward for herself. Through long years of listening to music, she has learned a lot of great tips to enjoy your playlist much more. “To enjoy music more than I had before, I really examined the lyrics and meaning of the song and maybe why the artist decided to make the song in the first place.” By doing these tips, you can enhance your experience and really feel the emotion coming from not only the lyrics but the instruments too.

Music can be a real lifesaver and an experience that is different for each person. Who knew that the most diverse experience can come from an earbud or headphones? I surely did not, but after using those tips, my whole view on life changed. So, next time you are bored or just need some time in your own universe, put some music on and really listen.