McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Human Services Class

Have you ever walked down the halls of McCullough and smelled chocolate chip cookies baking? You may have passed a Human Services classroom. Human Services is a fun class that gives you a break from the core classes and teaches you things like life skills!

Human services is an elective class you can take in the 7th or 8th grade. It covers topics like communication skills, life skills (cooking and sewing) and various careers you could have one day. I interviewed Gabby Ramsey, a 7th grader at McCullough who is currently in this class, to get her perspective. I wanted to know all the things they get to cook, and what else they learn in the class in case anyone is interested in taking it!

I couldn’t believe Gabby said they would cook “about 8 things” in class this semester!  Some things they cook are “donuts, garlic cheddar biscuits, French bread pizza, and chocolate chip cookies of course!” I asked Gabby if she felt safe and comfortable cooking in the kitchen at school with peers and she said, “Yeah, because Mrs. Schmidt is always looking at us and making sure we are doing everything right.” The Human Services classroom has 5 ovens and plenty of space for groups to cook. Besides cooking, a big project during the semester is making a pillow you can take home. The pillow is made by latch-hooking the yarn and sewing the material together. Gabby is currently working on her pillow and is “excited to learn a new skill.” She also said it was “very relaxing to just sit and sew and take a break from other stressful classes.” Another topic discussed in the class is careers and how much education you may need for that career. Gabby wants to work in the medical field and knows she will need “at least 4 years or more of college.”  Lastly, this class helps you grow your communication skills. You need to be able to communicate with your peers when cooking so you are safe in the kitchen. Being able to talk to new people is a skill you will use your whole life.

In conclusion, Human Services is a great class you can take here at McCullough. The skills you learn in this class are important because you can use them no matter what your career path may be.