McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Socializing in Volleyball

There are plenty of benefits when it comes to the sport of volleyball. However, one is more important than others. Socializing and overall communication are so significant to your performance. In this interview, one of McCullough Junior High’s 7th grade volleyball managers, Tansleigh Whitmire helped explain how whether on the court or even in the off-season, communication is key.

Volleyball is one of the most popular sports in the world, especially for girls in seventh or eighth grade. This is why I was interested to know what makes the sport so exciting, other than the idea of just simply playing. I thought about how socializing may have a good amount to do with what makes volleyball so enjoyable. Especially for those who play at McCullough.

Tansleigh and I discussed a few topics. One thing we talked about was if she recommends that others try out for McCullough volleyball this upcoming school year. I asked a little bit more about why she recommends that more people try out, and she replied, “During the off-season, it’s exciting to see everyone improve from where they started.” Watching friends improve connects to socializing because it can allow someone to remember how their teammate used to perform and reflect on how they have improved. So, now we know more about how communication is used during the off-season between teammates, but what about during games? I asked Tansleigh how communication can be used specifically when on the court and she answered, “Calling the ball or calling ‘mine’ are some good examples of using communication.” Making simple calls while playing is something that could entirely shift the outcome of a game. Even so, it’s still a great example of socializing or communicating with your teammates in general.

Now that we are aware of these personal opinions from someone on our school’s team, maybe it could inspire you to give volleyball a shot as well. It’s always good to try new things especially when it comes to sports or extracurricular activities. If you enjoy talking to friends daily, it’s helpful that you know how that type of interest has involvement in the sport of volleyball. Who would’ve known?