McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Nailing The Toss!

Being good at something like academics or sports doesn’t come easily, no matter who it is. Any professional you’ve seen had to start somewhere, and they didn’t give up no matter how hard it got. Today I interviewed Via Vieites about Color Guard. Via is up for a squad leader position in color guard and I decided to ask her a few questions about being in color guard and how it’s affected her. I asked Via how she thinks being in color guard has affected her learning ability, she replied by saying “It made me more confident.” Hearing how being a part of a team and practicing has helped her achieve confidence made me think about what she would say to someone struggling to have that confidence. Via’s response to my inquiry was “I would say to keep practicing and ask for help if you need it.” Keeping the interview on a more fun note I asked her what her hardest toss she’s done so far and what she loved about this year in color guard. Via said that one thing she’s loved about color guard this year was making friends. On a later question, Via then said, “I’d cry if I lost them.” talking about the friends she made on the team. This response shows how being a part of a team and finding your people can really make a difference. Via also replied to me saying her hardest toss to get was her one-handed 1 ½ forty-five toss and that she was able to achieve it by practicing for about a month. My final question for Via was about her 8th-grade goals, Via’s response was “Becoming an officer and growing my skills”. Based on how Via is doing I have no doubt her goals will be met, and she will be a great officer and an amazing role model.