McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

So you Want to Join the Band?

So you Want to Join the Band?

Band class is more than just a bunch of noise.  At McCullough Junior High, students have the opportunity to partake in band.  There, they will learn to master an instrument and to perform music on stage in concerts.  Practicing the pieces is crucial to a successful performance and winning in competitions.

With very few exceptions, this is a continuation of their journey from intermediate school.  Partaking in the junior high band is a requirement to join the marching band at The Woodlands High School.  Though the high school band is much more intense and time-consuming than the band in junior high, it gives students opportunities to play at football games and competitions, and eventually possibly obtain scholarships for their work.

I interviewed Lilia Gonzales Penny, one of the assistant band directors and band teachers.  She recommends taking band because “It gives a community to belong to and a great motivating task.”  Band gives its students lessons in various subjects.  Ms. Penny specifically lists that “In Junior High, we have to teach how to be in an ensemble and time management.”  All of these lessons are given along with the fun of playing.

Band class, while challenging, can be an incredibly fulfilling experience. The conduct of having to balance practicing the instrument and other classes will help students later in life.  Band class also offers many opportunities for students in the future atop of the other benefits.  And if you are still on the fence about staying, as Ms. Penny said in the interview, “Don’t forget why you chose your instrument.”