McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Study Tips for History Class

Have you ever struggled with studying for an upcoming history test, wondering what you could do to help you study in a greater and more efficient way? Well, lucky for you because we’ve got the tips and tricks to help give your grades a boost. History can be a tricky subject to master when it comes to studying it. All the dates, names, and events might seem like a lot to you, which causes lots of unwanted stress and anxiety. However, we’re here to help.

Katherine Hu, a grade 8 history honors student who attends McCullough has cracked the code for the best ways you could study for a history test. When Katherine was interviewed, she started by mentioning the importance of simply just paying attention in class. Along with how actually understanding the topic you’re planning to study helps you study more efficiently. Now when it comes to studying, there are so many different ways to do it: reviewing your notes, playing practice games, and so much more. However, Katherine sees benefits in a few of them including: “review games, brain dumping information onto paper, looking over notes and handouts, and most importantly, quizzing your friends.” Katherine really stressed the importance of verbally communicating the material you are trying to learn.

She later explains that it helps her and so many of her peers memorize the information they’re trying to study more vividly. Using extra resources like tutorials and extra practice also assists you in achieving a higher level of understanding of the content you’re studying. Finally, Katherine suggested that when it comes to how long you should, “study until you feel confident with what you’re looking over.” If you believe that you understand everything, at least get in a few minutes to review right before the test to make sure “information is fresh in your mind.”

You now know the secrets of studying, and how to do it best. Studying isn’t meant to make you freak out about an upcoming test; it’s supposed to help you feel more confident and ready to take it, especially with tricky subjects like History. Good luck with your test!