McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Cross Country: All it Takes is All You Got

Many people enjoy challenges that cause them to leave their comfort zone. However, running is not usually considered to be one of those challenges. Cross Country is not an easy sport. At McCullough, however, cross country is difficult but very enjoyable to those who join. 

Cross Country is a year-round P.E credit at McC with many who try out. Some people may not want to join cross country because of the daunting task of running. Others may join and find out it’s much more difficult than it seems to be. For those who are concerned if cross country would be a good fit for them, the commitments are as follows: Seventh graders must run two miles in under 18 minutes and eighth graders must run in under 17 minutes. Practices occur during school hours every other day and during the season every day with after-school practices. During the season races happen almost every weekend. This information may seem overwhelming, but the cross-country coaches and leaders are always there to help!

This sport may seem like a lot of work with no rewards, but people who have joined have loved it! Isabella Hallas, a seventh grader who is constantly winning, was interviewed on the subject. She stated, “Cross Country has made running more enjoyable because we always get to run with friends.”. If you worry you may not enjoy this, despite the social aspect that many love, because you lack running talent, there is no need to worry. “A good runner has determination, persistence, practice, confidence, good sportsmanship, open-minded, and always ready,” Isabella says. This means even if you don’t have running skills at first, you will gain them through hard work. 

Overall, cross country is worth joining for new runners who are looking for an event. Isabella says, “Cross Country gets you in shape, makes you feel completed and achieved, and brings runners joy seeing teammates and yourself improve. If you’re considering joining, you won’t regret it.” Whether you are someone new to running and just wants to join her friends, or an experienced runner who has talent within the sport, cross country welcomes all!