McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Above and Beyond: Advanced Math

Above and Beyond: Advanced Math

Math is often considered a tough subject to pass, but it can be harder.  To get into advanced math, one must pass a special placement test which is mostly an algebra assessment.  If the student passes, they get to skip pre-algebra and go straight to Algebra I in seventh grade.  This path sets them up to take calculus in high school.  The workload is often around a high school level and about as challenging as a high school course too.  Regardless, the work here will boost the analytical thinking of students and help students get into colleges.

For more information, I interviewed Ms. Driver, one of the advanced math teachers here at McCullough.  She stated when asked how the skills will help students in the future, “Everything STEM-related relies on math.”  In response to the workload, she said, “Math is like any skill, it needs to be practiced.  The more you practice, the more patterns you see.”  In other words, the work done will help students proceed into the future.  Additionally, it all can get done with some thought and effort put into the task.

Even though advanced math is very difficult, one can get through and as an improved person.  As Ms. Driver said in the interview, “Math is a skill anyone can get good at and the rewards for the hard work are endless.”  As with anything, the course is quite the undertaking for a junior high school student.  Yet, it is a steppingstone to the path to becoming a great engineer or scientist.