McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Thinking about joining honors science? Here’s a look into McC’s awesome Science Curriculum!

Are you thinking about joining honors science next year? I met with 7th grade honors science teacher Mrs. Pitre to help me answer some of the questions you may have. While honors science may seem like a challenge, Mrs. Pitre provided me with some tips and tricks that might help you feel a little more confident about being ready for an honors course. One big point Mrs. Pitre stressed was keeping up with homework and independent work. Honors science involves more self-directed learning, so staying organized and on top of assignments is key. As Mrs. Pitre said, “You need to be able to keep up with the homework and independent work.”

Mrs. Pitre also emphasized the importance of being engaged in class activities. Honors science classes often have hands-on activities, so being focused and asking the right questions can help your understanding grow. Mrs. Pitre mentioned, “I try to use different methods such as get-up stations to get them going and more engaged.”

Another thing Mrs. Pitre mentioned was the chance to go more in-depth into tough topics. Honors courses tend to cover more material in shorter periods of time, although this may be tough, it ends up giving you a better understanding of science. Mrs. Pitre even said, “I had about 5-6 people go to regionals,” showing the program’s potential for success.

Overall, joining honors science could be a great opportunity for growth and learning. By staying organized, participating and paying attention, you can make the most of your honors science experience. What I learned from Mrs. Pitre’s advice was that although a course may seem challenging, doing the right steps and using dedication can help you succeed, so don’t hesitate to take this class!