McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Four Hour School Days: The Future of Education?

How does coming to school for just 4 hours everyday sound? It might sound like a dream come true for many students, offering more time to unwind, socialize, and pursue personal interests. I recently spoke with Nora Foster, an 8th grader, who shared her thoughts on why shortening the school day could greatly help overworked students like her.

Nora expressed that our current school schedule leaves her feeling drained and with little time for herself or her family. “I barely have time to relax or do things I enjoy,” Nora explained. “Shortening the school day would really help me manage my time better” she stated. She also said that a shorter day would give her “a chance to have more of a social life outside of two-day weekends.”

Shortening the school day to 4 hours can also lead to improved school performance. Nora shared that when she leaves school early due to feeling drained, she can complete her makeup work in just 3 hours. This supports the fact that a shorter day could result in more focused and productive students during their time in school. Additionally, a shorter school day could also benefit families. Nora pointed out that it would align better with her family’s schedule, as her brother is in high school, making pick-up and drop-off times more convenient and productive.

In conclusion, shortening the school day could have many positive effects on students’ mental health, academic performance, and family life. Considering these benefits, I believe it’s worth looking at the possibility of enforcing a shorter school day to support students like Nora in managing their time and responsibilities better.