McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Science Fair. Should you do it?

Ugh! Science Fair! Either you love it, or you hate it. As you may know, the Science Fair is a very popular activity here at McCullough. You may even have a friend who has partaken in it! But as you’ve probably already heard, the Science Fair is no walk in the park. There are parts where it seems like a piece of cake and other parts where you feel like a doorstopper! So, should you do it? Well, take advice from Will Spears, a fellow science fair student, who has recently finished his experiment!

Will explains that the Science Fair was overall okay. This was mainly because his end experiment did not go as he wanted it to, and he states the whole process took around 30 days. Will’s project was a fascinating experiment in controlling algal blooms! Which is the process of algae forming on top of water, killing fish. What a hard task to tackle! Of course, your project may not be like this. Will mentions this wasn’t super hard, but just time-consuming, and frustrating. It was very time-consuming; the whole project was homework on his own time. Will claims this was 40 or more hours of work. So, time will be your best friend!

After several weeks of tedious work, Will presented his experiment. Will says presenting was okay. Every now and then he would stutter or mess up. Will states, “A good way to avoid messing up is to memorize your script.” Memorizing your script will be super important when the day of presenting comes. Hopefully, you’re good at remembering!

Overall, the process was tedious, but rewarding in the end. Will says, “Don’t be afraid to ask for help.” If you ever feel confused, frustrated, or feel like quitting, just know that it’s okay if it’s hard. The Science Fair is supposed to be challenging, which is why it’s good to participate in it. Will also mentions, “No matter how hard it gets, just keep going. You will face hardships, but that is planned. While the Science Fair may seem tricky and challenging, it’s always important to persevere and look at how far you’ve come. This will help you realize not to give up because it’ll be worth it in the end. After all, hard work does pay off!