McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Should Reading Be a Core Class?

Have you ever had to do a book report and thought should this be something I have to do? Well today I’m going to help prove that reading and writing are actually important. I interviewed 7th grade Lucius Hanna about the matter, and he gave some good answers to the questions. Core classes have been the same since 1987 when they were first established. However, most of us have had the same thought many times “Do I really have to do this book report?” or “do I really have to write this essay?”

Well, this is actually something we do through life as long as we are in school.

“I think we should only have to read books for 20-30 minutes in class,” says Lucius Hanna, 7th grade. Mostly ELA is reading books and answering questions about those books. But there are portions where we must write essays or book reports about subjects our teachers tell us very few, we get to write about what we actually want to write about. Book reports in McC are normally made with SURF books, books that we get to pick ourselves. But there are times where we must do book reports about books the instructor has chosen. These happen and these for students are the lows of reading and writing but something most people don’t detest is free reading and a lot of people think that reading should just be reading and then discussing the book. “Reading and Writing is useful unlike some other subjects” says Lucius Hanna 7th grade. However, most of us agree that ELA is important because it teaches us how to read and write. Most of us know that one day you will have to write summaries for whatever job you have for your boss. Even if we reject the idea of making book reports and essays it is still important.

In conclusion, reading and writing is important because it will be useful for our future jobs and experiences. This is clearly shown because of the current and predicted future environment. Even if people try to deny it will always be important to learn how to write effectively and read well.