McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

McCullough Girls Basketball – Why?

McCullough Girls Basketball - Why?

“Brinnnnnggggggg!” The buzzer went off. Everyone is cheering and shouting, since they just won their game! If you want a taste of that victorious feeling, sign up for McCullough Girls Basketball!

McCullough has a variety of different types of sports, and they all have their kind of work and fun. The sports found there are soccer, football, volleyball, tennis, track and field, cross country, P.E., private P.E., and basketball. The sports categories all are separated into groups for boys and girls. Many people enjoy these sports, and it helps them learn and take a break. Alana Caban is a 7th grade student at McCullough and had the experience of girls’ basketball. She too loved playing basketball and taking a break, and it made her become even closer friends to other girls.

McCullough basketball stands out to many and opens up an opportunity that girls these days rarely get. They have freedom, relief from stress, an opportunity to make new friends, a chance to learn something new, and a chance to bond with people, which is all-important to the early lives of pre-teens and teens. Alana Caban stated that, “Becoming a player is worth it because you make many friends and it’s fun to play in the games. I loved McCullough basketball and wished it was year-round.” You will learn how to work as a team and build up social skills that are needed in playing the game. These skills can make you a better person in real life as well. “Basketball wasn’t all positive though,” Alana Caban stated. “There were some downsides to it, like the jerseys and backpacks. They were covered in stains and smelled weird.” Many people have also said that when you lose a game, everyone gets frustrated and gets mad. It takes a lot of work to calm everybody down. All of these obstacles did not stop Alana and her team from becoming second in the league.

The basketball season doesn’t start till late November, and the school provides you with a lot of extra activities for you to stay in shape. One of those ways is highly known and is called offseason. Offseason is the part between the beginning of school and the actual basketball season. It focuses mainly on endurance and strength building. This gets you prepared for the basketball season and gives you a high chance of making the team. During the summer, there is a camp that some of the McCullough coaches go to so they can see you play, and it teaches you tricks and skills to help make the team as well. Alana had never played basketball before but ended up making the B team. She said, “Learning how to make a layup was hardest for me, and layups are an essential key to playing basketball, but with practice and more effort I can now make layups during games.” She put time and effort into making the team, and that helped her be successful.

Other people should find ways to overcome their weaknesses as well. For Alana it was practicing, for others it could be listening or asking for help. McCullough basketball gives you this opportunity, as well as many more, and helps you experience life like never before. Freedom, bonding, strength building, relaxation, breaks, friend making, and activeness are all on hold for your journey through McCullough basketball, and it helps you learn needed life skills. Join McCullough Girls Basketball next year to get the journey of a lifetime!