McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Why do we need Sports?

Why do we need Sports?

Do you know why we need sports? Clara Russell helped me answer this question. When I sat down with Clara Russell, I realized why we need sports and how much they actually benefit us now and how they will continue to benefit us in the future. So why do we need sports? And what can we learn from them? These were all the questions I asked Clara Russell. 

A lot of people participate in sports and enjoy themselves while participating. But why do so many people play sports, let alone like them? Clara says they are a great way to exercise. Studies say the more you exercise the longer you will live. They are also a great way to have a good healthy lifestyle and to meet so many new people. Sports can also help with depression because if you don’t play a sport, you would be sad and locked in your room all day and playing a sport would mean you could meet new people that could eventually become your best friends. They are a great way for happiness and your teammates are just one-way sports can improve your happiness. Sports are also really good for your nutrition. Playing a sport can encourage people to have a good diet.

When I was talking with Clara one of the things that she talked about most was how sports are so good for your health and how they can benefit you now and in the future. I asked her how you can benefit from sports, and she responded with “If you do sports you basically have a healthy lifestyle and you benefit a lot from learning how to be a good teammate and it’s fun.” From this I realized that sports being fun are the reason people want to do them. It’s not just because of the exercise or the nutrition. I then asked her if she thought that sports could make you happier and she replied “yes because if you are locked in your room all day and don’t do anything a sport can really make you happier and have more fun” from this it made me realize why sports are a great way to be happy and be yourself and find people that are just like you and you can meet people you could be great friends with. This is why sports are proven to decrease depression. 

After talking to Clara for a little while longer I realized we need sports for many reasons, but the main reason is happiness. Sports can make you so happy and teach you so many skills you can eventually use in the future.