McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

What is McC Student Council?

What is McC Student Council?

Do you ever wonder who organizes things like food drives, sports games and student body concerns? I had Mrs. Reyes sit down with me to answer any questions you may have about McC Student Council and student body concerns.

As I talked to Mrs. Reyes about Student Council, I asked why students would want to participate in the club. She explained that “Student Council is completely student driven. The students run the meetings, they come up with whatever ideas they want to pursue, and it is really the student’s think bowl. It’s all in their hands, I am just there to facilitate the meetings and give guidance.” That is what is so great about this club, students have the opportunity to make change in the school without fear of getting turned down. 

Now, we know that Student Council is great for students to express their ideas, but what do sessions look like for the students? “In session, we go over pretty much whatever is going on at that time in the school. We have different goals we want to accomplish.  Right now, we are focusing on cheering on our sports teams, and we are also working on a food drive, and partnering with Meals on Wheels to make donations to senior citizens.” As you can see, the club covers anything that helps the community and also things that happen within the student body

Student Council meetings are held in A210, on Monday’s officers meet to prepare for Tuesday where the whole club meets. They host meetings before school at 8:05 and it is a great way to meet new people. 

Now, you might be wondering how students do outside of the club submit ideas to make the school a better place, and it is very simple, “If someone has a concern, or they have something they would like to get involved with, the student will go to one of our representatives. The representative would then come to either Ms. Murray or myself and we would find a way to make that happen.” The directors always do their best to meet students’ needs school wide.

Student Council is very important to the student body for many reasons. The club knows that it is hard for some people to meet basic needs, so they take time out of their week to make sure our community is able to be as privileged as many kids as possible at our school. Not only do the students have big hearts, but they also have enthusiastic adults organizing their amazing club. If you are interested in making a difference in our community and expressing your opinions, you should definitely look into joining the Student Council.