McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Why You Should try FLL!

As you may know, there are many clubs at McCullough Jr High. But one stands out from the rest. FLL, or First Lego League, is a competitive competition involving Coding and Legos. Now you may think that those two things together are kind of crazy. So let me explain a bit more about FLL. To find out more about FLL, I interviewed Matias Hermoza Baca, a student at McCullough. Matias described FLL as a “very fun and cool time, especially the coding.”

When it comes to FLL, also known as Robotics, there are many positions and roles that you can take during the process. These roles include Coding, building, designing, team captain, etc. The goal of FLL is to guide your robot to move your robot in different programmed directions. One very important factor in FLL is team meetups. Matias told me that his team usually meets up twice a week. Once after school and once over the weekend. The one after school is set by the school and the one over the weekend is at a friend’s house. There is a parent who volunteers as the team captain. When I asked him about competitions he said, “We go to different schools and compete against multiple teams. And if you win that competition, you go ahead and go to the next school”. On that topic, one of the most important parts of FLL is teamwork. Or as Matias said, “It’s all mainly about teamwork, and getting your robot to work takes the effort of the entire team.”

As you may know, there are many clubs at McCullough Jr High. But there are many reasons to do robotics. From team building to competition and just enjoyment. And the fact that FLL isnt just against your school. You can go to different schools around Conroe and compete against many different teams. So next time you see something new, try it. And who knows, you may love it.