McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Theater Shows: A Process

Theater Shows: A Process

You’ve probably been to a theater show or watched one on TV. While the show is very interesting, and the actors are very talented, you’ve probably once or twice thought, “What is the process like to put all this together”, and “What is it like backstage not only during shows, but also practices”. Here’s the thing, you’re not the only one. Many people have thought this before, so that’s why I sat down with my friend Sunny and asked her these exact questions.

There are no two theater performances that are alike. Even if they are the same show, each company will do it differently, and make it unique to their company. If there is anything similar, it’s the first step in the process to opening night, and that’s tryouts. Tryouts are essential because they can help the directors of the play decide who they want in the play and in what role they want them. Depending on the company, tryouts maybe you are trying out for a certain part, trying out just to be in the play, and then doing another tryout to determine what part you will get, or it’s a play where anyone who tries out is in it, and your tryout just determines what role you will play. After tryouts comes the process of getting each role their scripts and the starting of rehearsals and practices so each character can become comfortable with their parts. The next step leading up to the ultimate goal of having a successful first performance is memorizing and putting the finishing touches on each character and their roles. That includes getting costumes and working with the actors/actresses on how they will do their hair and makeup. This also includes dress rehearsals and starting to put the different parts together. Finally, the last step, and the time that every actor, actress, and director waits for a full-dress rehearsal. Full dress rehearsals are when the full staff performs the show in full makeup, hair, and costume, as well as using props, and sets/backdrops. It’s the first time for the crew to really see the whole thing come together and for all their hard work and practice to pay off. They know, though, that their work is nowhere close to done after a full-dress rehearsal. You still have to give everything you have in all your performances. After that final bow, you can finally breathe for the first time like ever.

I talked to Sunny, a member of the McCullough Jr High Junior Thespian Club and a member of the cast for the UIL Fall Play, on what the process has been like for her personally. When asked what her tryout experience was like this is what she said, “I wasn’t trying out individually for a part, I was just trying out for which part I would get. It was kind of weird because I had to memorize a monologue, and I accidentally went way too fast, so it wasn’t the amount of time it was supposed to be, but it was an experience”. I then asked her what the first few rehearsals were like as each person was getting comfortable with their parts, “The first few days we just did read throughs, where basically we just did, it’s pretty self-explanatory.”. AS stated earlier, each company and actor does and sees things very differently from the next, and that is what makes each company’s show stand out from the rest.

As you can see, each show is very unique to the company, and cast and crew, but one of the few things they have in common is the process leading up to opening night and a successful show. The process can be long and grueling at times, but in the end when everything comes together, you’ll know it was all worth it.