McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Volleyball is a Hit!

Let me hit you with all the facts about McCullough Volleyball, no pun intended. Volleyball at McCullough is taken very seriously. All sports for that matter are.

First step to learning about McC Volleyball is tryouts! There are two cuts, and about 100 people tried out this year. When trying out you have to note school volleyball is not as competitive and club volleyball. I interviewed Summer Read and she summarized school volleyball as just about having fun and the fundamentals. Summer Read has done club volleyball for 3 years, and is on the green A McC team. Summer Read, a 7th grader says, “It is very fun. School volleyball is not too hard, it is just a little competitive.”

The volleyball coaches are Coach Labeouf and Clark. Summer Read said this about them,  “They are really nice, but sometimes they can be strict just because they want us to do good.” From my standpoint listening to this it seems the coaches really care about the team’s feeling, but still want to be successful over all.

Their daily routine when they walk in is to stretch, warm-up, do drills, and scrimmage. One of the drills they do is called butterfly. It is very similar to the game bum, set, spike. There are at least six different positions in volleyball. The positions are middle front, right front, outside, middle back, left back, and right back.

In conclusion, McC volleyball has a very important place at McCullough. Now that you know all about school volleyball maybe next you can try out too! Volleyball is a great sport and Summer Read is a super player!