McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Algebra Problems

Algebra+Problems

In an interview with an 8th-grade student named Alice Pain. She takes a higher math called Algebra. Alice thinks that Algebra can be a little difficult to understand for students. The teachers have tutoring in the morning to catch up, but Alice stated, “I go into early morning tutoring sometimes, but it doesn’t always help.” They have tutoring but are the students working hard and are the teachers teaching? We have great algebra teachers at this school, but it can be a little hard to grasp the information. “When we do practice I think it gets harder because it makes me mess up and not do as well,” Alice said. That is only half of the problem though. Alice also said, “ I don’t ask the teacher for help because it is kinda embarrassing.” This quote states that students are sometimes scared to ask for help. When a student won’t ask for help the teacher doesn’t know how to help the student. When doing math, it can be very confusing to learn and when you are afraid to ask for help it makes it worse. Then, in the end, the result of all this is maybe failing the class. When interviewing Alice, she stated that it’s hard to understand some math units, but she doesn’t want to ask for help. Math builds on everything you learn so you have to make sure you understand it. These are only some of the problems though. A lot of students including Alice also stay up late to work on homework and study. Which is a result of what can make you try for the next day. Math can be hard, but if you work hard, it can pay off.