McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

Student Council

Student+Council

Do you wonder what it is like to be in one of the most teen leadership-like clubs in McCullough Jr High?

I set out to discover the purpose of the Student Council and what makes a leader. Student Council is a voice for others, a hand to help, and ears to listen to ideas. It is a before school club where you can meet new people and share your thoughts with others! This club is important because kids at this age need to promote respect and positive values throughout this community–and also to have their views heard in matters of concern. 

Student council gives you the opportunity to develop skills at a young age like leadership, communication, teamwork, organization and public speaking–which you need all of this in a university or in a job. This club also encourages student to faculty relationships that will be important throughout the school year. A student council member I spoke to told me the reason she joined was to get the experience of being a role model and meet new people.

The most important role of a student leader is the willingness to help others. “You have to be kind and respectful to others to be a successful leader,” said 8th grader Piper Bonura, a student council member. This means you have to have a positive attitude, listen to others, and have an open mindset. In the student council, you initiate and complete projects and activities, which will help the school and the community! In these tasks you will have to be willing to help others and have an open hand for those in need. Following along with that, they help raise funds for social events and community projects. In conclusion, Using the student council’s inspiration our school has come a long way, and this club contributes so much to what we love the most!

Joining something like a student council is a great way to demonstrate leadership in your school community. It prepares you for experiences that you will have in the real world and in college. If you love helping others and you are not afraid to speak up, student council is just right for you!