McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

The world of dragons

Who knew cyborgs and dragons were real? They’re not real in our world, they’re real in our minds. They’re in the downstairs library of McC Junior High, lurking and waiting for you to join their tribe. Welcome to the McCullough Junior High D&D Club! Where your fantasy dreams come true….

D&D is an extremely fun multiplayer game that involves the medieval world, dragons, and even elves!  D&D was so popular that lately there was even a movie called Dungeons and Dragons: Honor among Thieves! Don’t worry if you can’t find someone to play, just go to the downstairs library in McC and the whole crew will be waiting for you. I interviewed the master of D&D, aka Mr. Decuir, a science teacher/ D&D instructor in room B107. The DND club meets every Thursday morning from 8:00-8:35 a.m. in the downstairs library. “The hardest part in D&D is being the dungeon master, you have to organize the whole game and give orders to players who are playing your version of the game, It’s the hardest!” Mr. Decuir had 3 years of experience playing D&D, he remarks that being the dungeon master is tough, you have to come up with your own story and ORGANIZE IT! This is the hardest part of the game; you have to come up with a GOOD game idea or no one will want to play your version. For the normal players, each player will get a character sheet, you’ll fill in the blanks and come up with backstories and powers for your character. Each story version has a purpose, and the players have to use the dungeon master’s clues and their smarts to avoid traps and monsters. Sometimes the dungeon master might let it slide, but other times they might be sadistically cruel and kill you right off the bat.

It’s also a game in which players can share their ideas and have fun. Everyone is positive in this game, and the main point is to have fun in the fantasy world!

“DND club is for a group of people that are interested in fantasy and tabletop games,” said Mr. Decuir during his interview, both the Dungeon Masters and the players have to use their brains to solve problems in the game. In my opinion, it’s just War but better, and fantasy.  “I like the unpredictable and unique story, it changes every time,” remarked Mr. D. The DM has to make sure that each story has its unique plot so it can grab the players’ attention and persuade them to play the game. It’s also a game that you can enjoy with your friends, laughing and talking while fighting monsters on your little game board, spreading your imagination. “I’ve played it with my friends, they all had positive experiences with it. It was them that recommended D&D to me!” said Mr. D.

Kids nowadays think that playing board games is “old school”, but they’re wrong! People around the world are still playing D&D and it’s still popular. If you are ever bored, don’t be afraid to sign up for the D&D club! “Playing D&D is also a good way to relieve your stress at school”, remarked Mr. Decuir toward the end of our interview. I hope you, readers, after you’ve read my article, consider yourself in whether you’re joining this club or not! Trust me, you’ll not regret it after you join it, you’ll be on an adventure every week!