McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

A Fantastic Fantasy Club!

When you think of school clubs, you probably think of the chess club or D.I. Even hearing the word school your brain wouldn’t immediately jump to ‘fun’ or ‘imagination.’ But, throughout the dozens of clubs, lies one club set in a fantasy world.

I spoke to Mr. Decuir (the sponsor) about the school’s D&D club, or Dungeons and Dragons. A club that most of you probably didn’t know about. Dungeons and Dragons is a fantasy role-play game, where you can create the world around you and go on adventures with friends! You use dice to decide on what happens next.

In the constant rush of Core Classes and homework, it’s healthy to take a break. The D&D club lets kids have fun with friends and use their imagination in this fantastic fantasy game! “I think it’s important to have a club for D&D because it gives some students that may not have another activity that they are associated with like Band, or Orchestra, or Choir, or sports of any kind, and gives them their own community as well as other people with similar interests, and allows them to be a part of the school,” said Mr. Decuir, who sponsors the D&D club. The club allows kids to make long-lasting friendships with one another and enjoy themselves at school. As someone who has played in the past, D&D is the perfect mix between rules and adventure.

D&D has not only shaped and molded friendships, but the fantasy genre itself! Dungeons and Dragons is the foundation of many shows, games, and novels today. For example, while playing a new game on my computer, I researched it and was surprised to discover that the game was actually based on a Dungeons and Dragons game. Using their imagination through D&D has led to them creating their own works of art. “A lot of the world’s greatest people are just people with a very active imagination, and they are able to think of things that other people wouldn’t. That’s why they’ve been so successful.” Mr. Decuir said in an interview. Using your imagination and being creative can help you grow as a person and be more successful later in life.

If you are a student who isn’t in many activities and wants to make new friends, take the opportunity, and step into the magical world of D&D! Let your imagination run as you play alongside other kids.