McC School News

The Student News Site of McCullough Junior High

McC School News

McC School News

The difficulties of a larger classroom

Did you know that students’ grades are higher by 9% when in smaller classrooms? This is proven by Project Star or the Tennessee Study, who tested this theory. 

I sat down with Mrs. Alleman, a 7th Grade Level Science Teacher in Room B105, and discussed the difficulties of having more students in the classroom.

Having a larger classroom can be difficult for students and teachers alike, but having smaller classrooms can help students learn and succeed in their schoolwork, it can also help the teachers with their workload. I talked to Mrs. Alleman, and she gave me very good information about this topic and insight into what would benefit the students when being in a smaller classroom. This is very important in my opinion because think about the next generation of people that will help change the world, It’ll be the kids. So we need to prepare them and teach them in the best way possible.

Mrs. Alleman said something to me that sparked my interest, she said, “Kids wouldn’t be as scared to ask questions because they wouldn’t be as embarrassed, sometimes they won’t ask questions because they feel like they are not smart enough to ask it or feel insecure. But in a small group setting, they feel more open to ask the questions.” Which I think is entirely true because if kids won’t speak up and ask questions when they don’t understand something, then their grades will suffer and that won’t be good.

In conclusion, if we had smaller classrooms then students would be able to be less distracted, learn more, and the teachers would be less stressed about grading papers and things like that. So, we need to be mindful of what can happen with larger classrooms and see the difficulties that large classrooms bring up.